Photo of the Week

Photo of the Week:Star Gazer’s Stone

Star Gazer’s Stone

The Star gazer’s Stone, along Stargazer Road in Newlin Township, marks the site of the observatory where Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon began their observations of the night sky in the attempt to discern the actual boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland in 1764, now known as the Mason-Dixon Line.  

 
 

Photo of the Week: Sunny Falls

The sun shines after a week of rain. The result of that rain can be seen gushing down a waterfall on the border of West Marlborough and East Fallowfield townships.

 

Photo of the Week: Preparation

A member of the Wilmington Trail Club waits for other members of the club before putting their kayaks into the Brandywine Creek on a gray Saturday morning.

 

Photo of the Week: Spring Stroll

Spring finally arrives with sunshine and warm weather; a good time for a stroll by the Brandywine Creek and the BRM.

 

Photo of the Week: Brandywine Baptist Church

Brandywine Baptist Church began as a Quaker meeting in 1692. The meeting became a Baptist congregation in the 1800s after followers of George Keith had a falling out with the Friends. The current stone building was erected in 1808. During WWI, the church was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers. (Cards of this and other images are available from Barbara Moore Fine ...

 

Photo of the Week: Andy’s

The old house at Creek and Murphy roads in Chadds Ford is Andy Wyeth's former studio. (Cards of this and other images are available from Barbara Moore Fine Art. Click here to see the collection.)

 

Photo of the Week: Archie’s Corner

Mother Archie’s Church at Ring and Bullock roads in Chadds Ford Township. The structure was originally built as a school in the 1800s but became a church for Chadds Ford’s black population in the early part of the 20thcentury. The site was officially designated as “Chadds Ford Historical Site” during a ceremony in September 2003. Mother Archie refers to Lydia Archie, ...

 

Photo of the Week: The Kuerner Farm House

From Andy Wyeth to today’s artists and photographers, the Kuerner Farm and the family house continue to be an inspiration for artists and photographers in the Chadds Ford area. (Cards of this and other images are available from Barbara Moore Fine Art. Click here to see the collection.)

 

Photo of the Week: The John Chads House

The John Chads House on Creek Road in Chadds Ford Township is maintained by the Chadds Ford Historical Society. The township was named for Chads. According to CFHS records, Chads commissioned John Wyeth Jr. to build the house. That Wyeth was no relation to the Wyeths of Chadds Ford art fame. (Cards of this image and other images are available from Barbara Moore Fine ...

 

Photo of the Week: The Gilpin House

The Gilpin House at the Brandywine Battlefield Park on a proper spring day. Cards of this image and other images are available from Barbara Moore Fine Art. Click here to see the collection.

 

Photo of the Week: George Was Here

Gen. George Washington used the Ring House, the home of the Benjamin Ring Family, as his headquarters the night before the 1777 Battle of Brandywine. Fire destroyed the original structure in 1931, but a replacement was built in 1949 and ’50. The rebuilt structure stands at the Brandywine Battlefield Park on Route 1 in Chadds Ford Township.