Budget talks start in Chadds Ford

As the calendar year winds down, it's time for townships to begin pondering their budget for the next year. Chadds Ford Township supervisors began the public part of that process during their Nov. 1 meeting.

Interim Township Manager Matt DiFilippo presented the proposed preliminary budget. As presented, it's a balanced plan with revenues and expenses anticipated at just more than $1 million with no tax increase.

However, the board did not approve the preliminary plan. Supervisors Frank Murphy and Samantha Reiner said they wanted to review some of the numbers before voting. State law requires the board to pass a preliminary budget, and then advertise that before holding a second public discussion. Then the board votes on the final budget before the end of the year.

According to DiFilippo's presentation, 90 percent of the revenue would come from real estate taxes, enabling taxes, permit fees and fees from Comcast and Verizon. The remaining 10 percent comes from money carried over from this year and grants.

On the expense side of the ledger, salaries, and expenses for the supervisors, manager, tax collector, solicitor and the administrative staff total more than $252,000.

Other business

• Murphy reminded residents that the board would host a residents' forum on the Pettinaro project on Nov. 15 at 7 p.m.

• DiFilippo said the Hillman Drive extension proposal would be on the Planning Commission's agenda for Nov. 8. The Henderson Group is looking for a recommendation for final approval. If the commission votes to recommend, the plan would go to the supervisors for a vote in December.

• Engineer Michael Schneider said the culvert work on Heyburn Road is just about complete. The culvert was installed, and concrete for the roadway poured. The road will reopen once the concrete cures, he said.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (5 votes, average: 4.80 out of 5)
Loading...

About Rich Schwartzman

Rich Schwartzman has been reporting on events in the greater Chadds Ford area since September 2001 when he became the founding editor of The Chadds Ford Post. In April 2009 he became managing editor of ChaddsFordLive. He is also an award-winning photographer.

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.